Thursday, May 10, 2007

One Year Ago

One year ago today I was sitting in my office just like today with no idea that in just a few short hours my whole life would change. It was the Thursday before Mother's Day and in between work tasks I spent a lot of the morning day dreaming about the baby girl I was waiting for. That afternoon I made the rounds of my co-workers' offices and fielded the inevitable "when will you hear something" questions. I remember smiling optimistically as I answered "could be any day now... but I won't hear anything today. It's too late in the day. They always call in the morning."

I was on my way downstairs back to my office when my cell phone rang. I remember looking at the phone number in disbelief--knowing, even before I answered it, who it was and what it was about. Time slipped into slow motion and the next few minutes seemed like an hour as I impatiently watched the photo of my new daughter-to-be download onto my computer screen. The next two months would be a whirlwind of activity punctured by long moments of suspended time as I completed last minute preparations and traveled to Russia twice to complete the adoption of my daughter.

My life has changed in immeasurable and wonderful ways since that day one year ago. Today, as I look forward to my first true Mother's Day, I do find myself daydreaming about the end of this year when I plan to start the process of adopting another little girl, but I also find myself determined to enjoy every minute of this very special time when it's just the two of us. Just me and Alivia. One year ago this moment she was still just a dream. Today she's all mine and the most precious gift this mother can ever imagine receiving.

~ Jeana

4 comments:

Amazing said...

Darn, Jeana, you made me cry. I'm not kidding...I've read it twice and cried both times. I'm so very pleased for you that you found Livi. Hugs to you both. 28 days till TO!!!!

Christy said...

Jeana,

Happy Mother's Day!

I, too, cried while reading your post. I had to stop several times because I was reading it over the phone to my sister (and there was someone just outside my office).

Isn't it amazing how you figure nothing will happen and then BAM, it happens. Hopefully, the next time will come ASAP!

Christy

Jeana said...

LOL! I cried while I was writing it, so you're not alone, Ladies!

Hugs to you both!

Jeana

votemom said...

what a beautiful mother's day post - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU!!!!!