Sunday, September 23, 2007

On the Down Hill Side

Livi's surgery went very well on Thursday. She was in the OR for about 2 hours and then in recovery for about 1.5 hours before they took her to her room. She was in a lot of pain all day Thursday and most of Friday, but they kept her on morphine every two hours to deal with that. Thursday she slept most of the day away and Friday she dozed in and out, but spent the whole day in my arms. She wouldn't let me put her down for more than a minute--she needed Mommy love big time! That evening she did go for a little walk around the ICU and laughed a couple times at jokes. My friend Diane came to visit and held Livi for a couple hours so I could go home and get a much needed shower and meal. While I was gone Livi's 2nd IV (she pulled out the first one) got bent and had to be replaced. Poor thing!

On Saturday Livi was much better and actually let me sleep a bit, too. She wasn't nearly as clingy and walked around quite a bit. Saturday afternoon we did the first turning of the screws and she didn't even flinch. That evening they took her off the morphine and put her on an oral pain medicine that seems to be enough for her. She is eating a bit--her whole jaw and chin is swollen and it's hard to get her mouth open very wide, but she doesn't seem to be in much pain at all. She's been eating mac and cheese, yogurt and cream of chicken soup. Good comfort food! This morning they said Livi was doing so good that we could go home if I was comfortable with the screw turning. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, so I am having no problem with it. Here's a photo of one of the screws.

The first photo above was taken right after we got home today. Livi's a bit swollen, but otherwise happy, as you can see! Now, if I could just get over this awful cough I have (bronchitis, I think... haven't found time to get to my doctor yet) everything would be great! Thank you, everyone, for your prayers, messages and phone calls! I'm still pretty much voiceless, but I do appreciate all the love and warm thoughts being sent our way!

~ Jeana

6 comments:

Jennifer S. said...

Glad to hear that you are both doing well. What a trooper Livi is. I can't believe they let her go home already. I am glad that she is doing well with the turning. I know we were all thinking it would be otherwise. Take care and hope you both feel better soon.

MandyJo013078 said...

Jeana -
I'm so glad that Livi got through the surgery okay! I've been thinking about you two and praying for you! Does she have to have anymore surgeries after this one? Make sure you get into the doctor soon! Try to remember if you don't take care of yourself then you will have a hard time taking care of Livi. You'll both be in my prayers.
MandyJo

Amazing said...

Glad to hear things are going well for Livi! You two have been in my prayers and thoughts so much.

C

votemom said...

oh sweet baby girl! so glad to get an update.

hang in and take care of yourself.

MandyJo013078 said...

Jeana -
I forgot to ask what will happen now w/ Livi? Does she need to have more surgery? Do the screws come out on their own or do they have to be removed surgically? What does the surgery help with? How are you feeling? Did you end up going into the doctor? Just checking in! Hope all is well with both of you. Were you able to take time off while Livi is recovering? I think in one of your posts you had said that your mom watches her - hope everything is well with your family! Post soon - Miss hearing about you two!
MandyJo

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm so glad Livi is now finished with her 2nd surgery in just a few months. It's great that she came home quickly and that she is doing well when you have to adjust the screws for her. I pray that she recovers quickly!