Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Last Day in Tver

Today was interesting--I had to visit the notary office this morning to have the official petition for the adoption drawn up. Afterwards, Luba took me shopping. There's a lovely little pedestrian street not too far from the hotel where I was able to pick up a lot of souvenirs. Then we had lunch at this great little cafeteria style restaurant. It's old-style Russian cooking and the food was terrific as well as very inexpensive.

After lunch Luba dropped me back at the hotel to wait for the preliminary court hearing. On the way to court she and Alexey went over all these questions they expected the judge to ask. She only asked me two questions, though--what my job was and did I have a flexible or a rigid work schedule. We were in and out in about 5 minutes. Wouldn't be nice if the actual court hearing went that quickly and easily!

Speaking of the court hearing--she set a date of July 7. I would have liked it to be the week before (court is only held on Fridays for adoption cases) but she was afraid the documents wouldn't arrive from Moscow in time. Better not to have to wait in the hotel for a week if there is a delay. Alexey knew I would be disappointed in the later date, but promised that he would take me to the orphanage on July 5 so I could spend Alivia's birthday with her.

Tomorrow I head off to Moscow. I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriott hotel there which is just a few minutes walk from Red Square. Should be fun!

~ Jeana

No comments: