Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Busy, Busy Day!

Hi Everyone! I know I promised photos, but we've been so busy since arriving home that I haven't had a chance to pull out the camera. I promise to take some tomorrow, though, and upload them so everyone can see how well Alivia's doing.

Today was an especially busy day--first thing this morning we stopped by my office so everyone there could meet her. Alivia was her usual charming self and especially seemed to take to Drew. Alivia is a little flirt and made the most of the visit, though, laughing and smiling at everyone.

After we left my office we had to go to the social security office to apply for her card. It was interesting that they wouldn't accept the certified Russian translations of her birth certificate and the adoption decree. They have to have them translated by their staff instead. I was assured that it wouldn't take long, though, and that we should receive her card in a couple weeks. They were very nice, there, and made copies of everything they needed so I didn't have to give them any originals. I was worried about that.

Once we finished there, I took Alivia home to try to get a nap before her appointment with the pediatrician. She was just a little too over-stimulated, though, and never did fall asleep. Fortunately she doesn't get too fussy when she's tired and she did well at the pediatrician's office until the needles came out. The poor girl had to have four shots today and she didn't like any of them. The upside of the visit was that she checked out VERY well! Developmentally the doctor placed her at about 9 months and physically at about 5 months (she's 12 months 13 days old). Considering that she was a couple months premature, she's been in the orphanage since birth, and her birthmom is rather petite, she's doing well. In the 11 days that she's been with me she's gained 1.25 lbs., too! That's more than she was averaging per month in the orphanage. It's simply amazing how much these kids can grow when they have the right nourishment and all the love and attention they need.

Tomorrow should be a more normal day and hopefully we can get back on our schedule of two naps and lots of playtime. Again--I promise to get some new photos of her up here sometime tomorrow. Until then!

~ Jeana

No comments: